Sam the Cooking Guy is cooking with Shiitake Mushrooms and Leeks. He makes a base mixture of Shiitake Mushrooms and Leeks to serve as a side dish, or on Flatbread Pizza, Cheddar Polenta, or Eggs with Green Onion Hollandaise Sauce. From cleaning and preparing to cooking and enjoying – Sam is the guy.
Sam begins by singing the praises of the Shiitake mushroom. Sam thinks they are the best for both their flavor and texture. He says find them on sale buy a lot and cook with them. He prepares the mushrooms by removing the stems, placing the mushroom gill side down and slicing.
Sam describes the leek as a member of the onion family that looks like a giant green onion and has a mild onion flavor. He will use the white and light green parts of the leek. The green part of the leek gets sand/dirt in the leaves while growing so it must be cleaned well (Sam shows you how). Cut the leeks vertically and slice thinly in half-moons.
To make the base mixture Sam uses:
- 1 pound Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 large leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2-3 TBL olive oil
- 3 TBL butter
- Kosher salt/fresh ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
Here is how Sam makes the mushroom leek mixture:
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add olive oil
- Add mushrooms and leeks to pan
- Let mixture cook for about 3 minutes, clear a space in the center add a little olive oil and the minced garlic. Let garlic cook for about 45 seconds and stir to combine with mixture
- Add salt, pepper, butter and continue cooking until the mushrooms and leeks have softened – about 7 minutes
As a side dish the mixture can be served with salmon, chicken or steak. The left over mixture can be stored in the refrigerator and used in other dishes.
Sam also likes this base mixture on Flatbread Pizza. He uses:
- 1 “slab” of flatbread opened lengthwise (could use prebaked pizza dough)
- 1 container of garlic cheese spread (purchased)
- Parmesan cheese grated (enough to top)
Sam makes the pizza:
- Spread the flatbread with a generous amount of garlic cheese spread
- Cover with the mushroom leek mixture
- Top with grated parmesan cheese
- Place flatbread directly on center rack of preheated 425° oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is toasted (check at 8-9 minutes because ovens vary)
- Remove carefully, slice, serve and enjoy.
Sam makes a quick polenta to serve with the mushroom leek mixture. He uses:
- 1/3 cup polenta
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2-3 TBL butter
- 1/3 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- Good olive oil
- Mushroom leek mixture
Here is how Sam makes it:
- Combine water, polenta and salt in a microwave safe bowl and whisk to mix
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 8 minutes
- While polenta is cooking use a skillet to reheat some of the mushroom leek mixture. When mixture is warm add chicken broth and stir well. Chicken broth will reduce during the polenta cooking time
- After 8 minutes carefully remove polenta from microwave, remove plastic wrap and whisk
- While polenta is hot add butter and whisk to mix
- Add cheese whisking well to combine
- Serve the creamy polenta in a bowl, add a generous portion of mushroom leek mixture on top and drizzle with good olive oil.
Sam loved the combination; he called it polenta heaven in his mouth.
The Eggs with Green Onion Hollandaise Sauce is a twist on one of Sam’s favorites. You will need:
- 3 egg yolks
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Ciabatta roll sliced (English muffin could be used)
- 1 green onion finely diced
- 10 TBL butter melted
- 1 egg poached (to see Sam’s egg poaching method watch Rebirth and Egg Day on cox.7
To make the Hollandaise sauce:
- Add egg yolks, pinch of salt and lemon juice to a blender. Blend on low until color changes from bright yellow to pale yellow
- With blender on drizzle in melted butter
- Turn off blender and add handful of green onions, quick mix
- Set aside
- Butter the ciabatta roll and toast cut side down on grill
- Add mushroom leek mixture to roll, add poached egg, top with hollandaise sauce and enjoy
Sam cuts the egg, loves the runny yolk and gives it a taste. He declares it a homerun!
Sam cooked the Shiitake Mushroom and Leek mixture and used it in several ways to create some quick and easy dishes.