Sam the cooking Guy tries to blame Dessert Day on his sister-in-law’s delicious brownie recipe they are making at the end of the show. In the meantime he makes two desserts he would like if he liked desserts, but he is not a dessert guy. “Methinks the Cooking Guy doth protest too much.” Desserts for the day are; Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas, Honey-Butter Figs with Kefir Cheese and Double Chocolate Brownies.
To make Sam’s Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas you will need:
- 3 bananas peeled and cut in half
- 6 Skewers
- 1 bag chocolate morsels (Sam likes bittersweet; could use semisweet or milk chocolate)
- Chopped coconut
- Pecan pieces
- Heath Bar crushed
- Place skewers in the flat cut part of the banana vertically and place on a plate. When all bananas are skewered place in the freezer
- Use three bowls and place toppings of coconut, pecans and crushed heath bar in the bowls
- Put a bag of bittersweet chocolate morsels in a sauce pan and heat over very low heat to melt. If temp is kept low and stirred Sam says a double boiler is not needed
- When chocolate is melted remove bananas from freezer and using pastry brush or food safe paint brush paint the chocolate on the banana and sprinkle with desired topping
- Return to the freezer for 1 hour
Sam tried the coconut and loved it. What? Sam loved a dessert? Yep, he could have a problem.
There was a time Sam didn’t give a fig about this next fruit, much less dessert, but seems tastes change. Honey-Butter Figs with Kefir Cheese can be made with fresh or dried figs.
Here is what you will need:
- 5-10 dried figs
- 2-3 TBL butter
- 2-3 TBL honey
- ½ – 1 cup Labne Kefir Cheese
- 3-4 TBL almonds toasted and chopped
- 1 lemon to zest
- Flakey sea salt for garnish
To make the dessert:
- Prepare the figs by removing stem end and halving lengthwise
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add butter
- When butter is melted place the figs cut side down in the pan
- Drizzle honey over the figs and allow to sizzle for a few minutes
- Turn the figs over and continue to cook while syrup forms in pan
- Place ½ cup cheese in a bowl, add figs drizzle with some of the honey-butter syrup, sprinkle with toasted almonds, lemon zest and flakey sea salt and enjoy.
The figs, buttery honey sweetness, Kefir cheese, lemon zest and sea salt – Oh Snap, is that good!
Sam is joined by sister-in-law Cheryl to make her Double Chocolate Brownies, Sam’s way.
You will need:
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 TBL water (Sam used Bourbon)
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ½ -1 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- Parchment paper
To make the brownies:
- Pre-heat oven 325°
- In a bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt
- In a sauce pan melt butter, add sugar and water (bourbon) bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and stir in ½ of the chocolate chips and add vanilla
- Stir in eggs quickly one at a time to the chocolate mixture, blend completely
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time to chocolate stirring well
- Add remaining chocolates and walnuts
- Prepare an 8×8 inch pan by making a parchment sling (watch Sam). A parchment sling allows the brownies to be lifted out of the pan easily OR the pan could just be buttered and flowered to prevent sticking.
- Spread the batter in the parchment prepared pan
- Bake in 325° for 30-35 minutes
- Let brownies cool, remove from pan using the parchment sling, slice and serve
Sam loves the smell, moistness, nuts, double chocolate, and of course, TASTE.
When all is said and cooked, it seems Sam is a dessert lover after all.